Wednesday, January 21, 2015

#day7 - what it was like to take the challenge

So this is my last day of the blogging challenge.  Here's what I learned:  Seth Godin is the devil.  No, I'm just kidding - I still love Seth Godin.  His blog and thoughts about business, creativity, and being relevant as a 'product' in the market are challenging.   Reading him is like having a boss that really demands that you be your best and not just get by.

I think I took this challenge, because, like many writers, I often tell myself, "you should write more."  And then, I don't do it.  For me, this stems from my desire to write something that means something to somebody else besides me.  I write because I like a good story.  I write because I want to try to tell a good story - whether it's with a poem or with the blog or with my graphic novel (which means comic book, for those who have asked me whether I'm writing a sexually graphic novel.  I am not.  But I think it's fun that people might even think this about me!)  If it's 'good' writing, that means something to me.  If I am able to take a metaphor or current event or idea and tie it all these seemingly disparate pieces together - like Broadcast News and Imagine Dragons - that feels fun to me.

It's just so hard to get started and if it's not 'good' or as good as I want it to me, I am frustrated.

So this is my first lesson from the #day1 challenge:  Stop trying to be so good and just write.

The second thing I learned is:  Know why I'm writing.  Am I writing for stats?  Am I writing to get a book deal?  Am I writing for 'likes on facebook?'  Sure.  But, also, no.

At the very core, I am writing because despite looking like a pretty regular midwest working mom, I've had a few extraordinary experiences.  And because of these experiences, I have something that I think is worthwhile to share - whether that's with one person or one million.

Just today, my dear friend sent me this link:  http://markmanson.net/not-giving-a-fuck
This is a hilarious piece of writing with a lot of truth in it.  This piece challenged me too - to be a writer or artist, in some way, you have to 'not give a fuck.'  What if my ideas are weird?  What if no one likes them?  I put myself out on a limb...maybe it doesn't seem that scary because I'm not saying anything that crazy, but what is scary to me is that I believe in it SO much.

I write this blog in a much gentler voice than Mark Manson has - and the reason I do this, is not because I am a goody-goody or that I disagree with him.  The reason I write this gently but also feel so passionately, is because I've seen a gorgeous world, but a world full of hurts and pain.  In my experience, the world of healing is a world where we start by being kinder to ourselves - gentler with ourselves.  Then, gentler, less judgmental, more big-hearted with those in our families and communities.

There's a place for challenge and there's a place for gentle and there's a place for gently challenging.  That's why I learned  this week that I might be blogging more often, but I'm not going to beat myself up if I don't.

Thank you for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment