Tuesday, January 20, 2015

#day6 - where my demons hide

Having an 11 year old son, my life is full of an extraordinary number of poop, penis and passing gas 'jokes', if you can call them that.  Almost anything in the world can be made into such a joke (note:  watch Space Balls - get it, balls).  So there's a fairly popular song by Imagine Dragons called "Demons" and because we often listen to pop music in the car and because my son often chooses to let loose with passing gas in the car, we have begun to associate the lyrics, "that's where my demons hide" with my son passing gas.   It's a family song.  We are wholesome like that.

Probably because this song, tune and lyrics are so catchy, I've found myself thinking what does this really mean?  I can't believe it was the intent of the songwriters for the general public to abuse it's meaning in such a way as we do.

So today's #day6 entry is about what I consider one of my biggest demons - one thing I try to exorcise, but which seems to find new permutations in my life.

Have you ever seen the movie Broadcast News?  This is a great movie and Joan Cusack has a hilarious scene where she's trying to get news copy to the news anchor within minutes of going live.  The scene is called pushing.  Here's a link:  https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&type=B211US747D20140716&p=broadcast+news+scene+pushing

This is how I feel trying to get out the door in the morning.  And there are occasional days where I feel this way much of the day (particularly around Christmas).  My demon is overestimating my ability  accomplish tasks, and underestimating the time I will have to relax when said tasks are done.

I see this in my daughter who does all her homework for the week on Monday.  I was the exact same way - I liked to get my work done so I could play.  The problem in adult life is that the work is never done.  While you were getting some tasks done, more to do's were piling up.  I have all the 'accomplishment' but none of the relaxation and play that I had up until age 22.

So here is something I'm trying.  When I have my get out the door 'to do' list - whatever I think I can or should get done, I am mentally taking one thing off the list.  Sometimes, it's as banal as, I'm not going to scoop the cat poop.  When I am particularly "pushing" a la Broadcast News, I have to deliberately talk to myself and reassure myself :  Katy, if the cat poop doesn't get scooped today, everything will be okay.  Your house will not be condemned.  There will not be a terrible, permeating smell of cat pee."

I know in lots of ways, I'm being silly about this, but I also want to say that we all have 'demons' - usually more than one.  I think it fits in the category if it's something you consistently want to change and you know is inhibiting your quality of life, but you 'keep doing it.'

There's a story/myth that I think is Native American in origin about many animals trying to reach the Great Spirit on the Mountain.  Unfortunately, a gigantic demon stood in the path and the animals were afraid to pass.  But a small fawn approached the demon and said, "Please, I'd like to go see the Great Spirit."  The demon instantly shrunk to a very small size and the fawn and all the other animals could pass.

Gentleness, often is the best remedy for our demons.
p.s.  Mom,  I changed my profile pic to a pic from Broadcast News.  I'll change it back soon, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment