Sunday, January 18, 2015

#day4 - rebels, change-makers, big and small

This evening, for the first year in 11 that I have lived in my community, I took part in the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. events.  My family and some dear family friends walked from City Hall to a local school, we ate dinner in community with our neighbors and we took part in a 'service' in the school auditorium that included music, theater, awards, prayers.

Since it's my family, of course there had to be some 'sidebar' discussion and disagreement.  One theme, stated by one of the award-winning elementary school essayists was about starting change on a small scale.  This young lady wrote, "What I can do to stop racism is I can set an example, because I want to make sure my brother as he gets older that he learns that what is inside matters and what is outside does not.  And then, he will tell other people and it will become a chain."  WOW!  I totally agree.

Yet, my son (age 11), had to disagree and let me know during program.  No, he said.  Real change has to be big.  It has to be laws and it has to be whole groups and organizations doing things differently.  (Why haven't I been able to brainwash him more adequately?!?)

Interestingly, I listened to this being discussed on an On Being podcast recently: http://www.onbeing.org/program/parker-palmer-and-courtney-martin-the-inner-life-of-rebellion/7122

Two religious 'rebels' and social activists of two very different generations talked about the pitfalls of only thinking about change as meaningful if we 'change the world.'

Increasingly, I have to agree - this comes from my work and is illuminated for me again and again.  Small changes are the 'chain.'  In fact, there is nothing too small.  Every time you or I act or speak out of thoughtfulness, rather than reactivity - that's a win on a universal level.  Every time you or I choose kindness to ourselves and others over judgement - that is a cosmic triumph.

It also reminds me of It's A Wonderful Life, which we watched over the holidays.  One person's life effects so many - don't underestimate the difference you make.

So, though I'm tempted to 'correct' my son or try to convince him of my opinion, I'm also aware that each of us comes to our own wisdom in life and his answers might be different from mine.  My little piece of this chain is keeping my big mom mouth shut, and instead writing this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment