Wednesday, March 7, 2012

why our election process might be bad for our mental health

Here is what I LONG to hear a candidate for President of the United States say:  "I've got some good ideas for what I think will make this country strong, prosperous, and healthy.  My opponent has some ideas, too.  They're fine ideas, but I happen to disagree with some of them.  The American people are smart people - listen to my ideas and listen to my opponent's...whichever ideas you think are better - vote for that candidate."

The way candidates typically speak to us in the election process in particular is not healthy for us as a country.  It assumes that we are either too dumb or too angry to make an informed choice based on facts.  It's demoralizing to be spoken to this way and it corrupts the democratic process.  It incites fear, when fear is rarely a helpful response.

I've come to think that one of the greatest assets to our emotional well-being is to know and feel that we have a choice.  In theories of job satisfaction, autonomy/a sense of having freedom of choice in your workplace procedure,s is one of the top indicators of satisfaction.  Or in love - don't we feel more satisfied in our relationships when we feel we choose to be with someone or do something for our loved one, rather than that we're forced or obligated to?  What about when we get up in the morning...if we pay attention, we know that we can choose our approach to the day - positive or negative - and it makes a difference.  Even the language that we use.  I chose to start this blog writing about what I would like  rather than simply complaining about what I don't.

I wonder what campaign speeches and debates were like in the 'old days' - did Abraham Lincoln call his opponent names or insult his religious background or personality?  I somehow doubt it.  As a nation, we will be better served to try to ignore candidates who appeal to our snarky and angry side.  Just like in 'real life', paying a lot of attention to this type of person gives him or her more power than we really want to give them.  We should also not forget our freedom to speak and ask for what we want - and I want a candidate who speaks the truth, which is: Almost always,  ideas are just ideas - they are not inherently good or bad.  I want to be spoken to as the emotionally mature person that I am.  I want to make a choice to vote for or against ideas without being made to feel angry or afraid of the other guy or the other side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment