Thursday, March 8, 2012

red flags

As a therapist, some of what I do is help people learn to recognize red flags.  What makes another person trustworthy or not trustworthy.  If you grew up in an emotionally or physically violent family, it's possible that the cues aren't clear for you, because danger and love are mixed up together. 

So, sometimes, I try to help people slow down before they put their trust in someone.  To listen to, rather than ignore their intuition.  To ask themselves, does something about this other person or situation make you uncomfortable?  Before we proceed with that relationship, let's just sit with the uncomfortable feeling and try to figure out where it comes from.

So I found myself employing this technique with myself as I watched this viral video from Invisible Children last night.  Many of you may have already seen it - I'm linking to the NPR story which will also take you to the viral video: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/03/07/148146240/ugandan-warlord-joseph-kony-under-spotlight-thanks-to-viral-video

As I slowed myself down and sat with my feelings of discomfort (it's a great cause - why was I getting that skeptical, yeah right, feeling!?!?), here is what I came up with:

1) This is propaganda.  Propaganda, even for a good cause, is emotionally manipulative.  I want to ask the maker of the film, "why don't you trust me to act based on simply the presentation of facts, which are horrific enough?"  Political propaganda has been used in many terrible ways in human history.  Even if you're on "my side," I am uncomfortable with this technique.

2)  Near the beginning of the video the voiceover says something like, technology has made it a new world.  The older generation is afraid of it/us.  That is a rough paraphrase and the voiceover is coupled with footage of some kind of congressional hearing.  I don't like pitting one group of people against another.  The implication is that the older generation is somehow dumb/useless/out of it/in need of a swift kick in the ass.  This is a slippery slope and the type of meaning and language that I find dangerous.

3)  The use of your young child for emotional impact in your propaganda video.  This is a red flag to me about lack of sound judgment.  I was uncomfortable with the film maker's child in the video.

4) Using the slogan, "Make Kony Famous."  I know this is shorthand, but it's sloppy.  Again, there's a slipperiness to fame and it raises questions in my mind about mature judgment and clarity of purpose.

So, support Invisible Children or this other guy, http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/''; that's not for me to say. As best I can, I will lend my voice to causes that will work to make children safe. 

I just wanted to point out that the red flags of this propaganda piece raised red flags for me.  In personal relationships as well as community/sociopolitical relationships, I think it's wise to go slow and proceed with open, clear eyes and ears.

1 comment:

  1. I wish you had the time to address every major news story this way, Katy! It is reasonable, sound thinking. The media (and us) want to get carried away with emotion and we lose our ground as to what's real. And, of course, we're all damaged to different degrees, and carrying that baggage as we interpret it.

    ReplyDelete