Thursday, December 23, 2010

decide what to be and go be it

I had intended to write something Christmas-y, something about advent, about family, about slowing down. But. When I sat down to think and write, what is inspiring to me today seems more New Years-y.
I read an article in this week's New Yorker, http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/12/20/101220fa_fact_hessler about a Peace Corps advocate, Rajeev Goyal, and his unorthodox tactics in advocating for increased funding for the Peace Corps. He is a former volunteer himself, who was able to get running water in a village in Nepal. Now, back in the United States, he works for Peace Corps funding in Washington, D.C., using a "village" approach. He doesn't utilize a normal chain of hierarchy to reach those in power, he attempts to speak directly with members of congresss, etc., by knowing who they are and approaching them at Starbucks, waiting for them after committee meetings, finding mutual acquaintances to make introductions, and so on. He has come under some criticism for being so forthright and eschewing hierarchy and 'the way we do things,', but he also has helped increase funding significantly.
I love this guy.
What inspires me (and I hope you) when I read about Rajeev is that he seems to have two attributes that I think are worth searching for in our own lives: 1) he has passion for something outside 'the self' and 2) he has a unique vision and drive to make it so. It reminds me of an Avett Brothers lyric (if you're not familiar with the Avett Brothers, I think they are a great band http://www.avettbrothers.com/ ). They're kind of altcountry/rock and their lyrics appeal to the poet in me. Anyway, the lyrics I'm thinking of are these: "I had a dream/one day I could see it/like a bird in a cage I broke in/ and demanded that somebody free it". Another good line is, "decide what to be and go be it."
Now that I'm thinking about it, this entry might actually be a little Christmas-y - I'm thinking about dreams - personal dreams, dreams for peace on Earth (what better practical application for peace on Earth than the Peace Corps?!), inspiration, putting hierarchy in its place (Jesus was also an advocate, gadfly and questioner of authority).
And this, I suppose, is the New Years-y piece: if you find yourself stymied or at a frustrating life standstill, the new year is a good time to examine your dreams. Make sure they're really yours and not someone else's for you. Gregory Bateson was an anthropologist among other degrees and areas of study, who talked about the "difference that makes the difference." He was a great mind and at the risk of bungling his meaning, I'll say what I take from that phrase (as I learned it in grad school): in any system, a life, a family, a community - one small change can create a big change. In 2011, if you feel you need a change, don't be overwhelmed. One little change, one question asked, one mile walked, can make all the difference.
Best wishes for happy holidays and peace in the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment