Monday, January 14, 2013

Beyond 'Girls' and Boys



With the return of HBO’s hit series, Girls, I’ve recently read an onslaught of  newspaper and magazine pieces speculating about dating, sex, and gender issues in the lives of 20-somethings.  I guess we’re supposed to find them endlessly fascinating.  It’s especially curious, because I’m reading these articles in the New York Times and the New Yorker, places that I am sure have a median age readership far older than 24 years.  So, I find myself more concerned with older people and our obsession with youth than I am about ‘hook up culture’ and what it means for dating.

I am a middle aged person, more or less, and this is what I’d like to say to us:   we would do better not to think about the Girls and Boys so much.  If you want to get older and enjoy yourself, start thinking about and spending time with older people.  Instead of looking at where you’ve already been, start thinking about where you’re going and who you might want to be when you get there. 

This can work in two helpful ways.  It can help show you what you don’t want to be and it can help point you in the direction of what and who you DO want to be. 

The first time I became fully aware of the “Don’t Want To Be” category of  older people was when I lived and worked in Washington, D.C. I was in my early 20s.  It was a high pressure/low pay job, though my superiors were very well paid, and growing more well-paid every year (the dot com years!).  People who were ‘old’ to me then, ranged in the ages from 35 to 50.  Not all, but more than several really struggled mentally and emotionally with the stress of their lives and balancing work   and family.  I remember working on a particular Saturday at my ‘cube’, when a project manager, who was probably 35 to 40 came to me crying.  “Will you talk to my husband on the phone?” she asked.  “He doesn’t believe me about how stressful this is.  He doesn’t understand how mean our boss can be.  Will you tell him?”  I did NOT want to be this person in ten years!  I began to examine the contributing factors to the panic and neuroses  around me.  I began to envision my life going in a different direction than the direction I seemed headed.

Conversely, I have had the opportunity in the past ten years to be around some vibrant, curious, wise older people, who have ranged in age from 50 to 95 years old.  Not only have I had friendships and mentoring relationships with some, some I have had the privilege to be with as a hospice worker or therapist.  When I am with an older person, I listen carefully.  Here are some characteristics I notice in people who age with grace and complexity: 

1)      They take risks – they take classes or travel or try new hobbies
2)      They find the humor in life and in themselves
3)      They are flexible with their time and flexible with their minds.  They don’t get stuck in one way of thinking, but continue to learn
4)      They stay curious about the world and show an interest in things that are ageless – music, art, reading, politics
5)      They have friendships with people of different ages
6)      They accept their age and don’t try to be younger (is it self-serving to say that I think dying the grey out of your hair is okay?!)
7)      They balance quiet time with activity.

I’ve heard, that when you’re mountain biking, you need to look at where you want to go, not where you don’t want to go.  Don’t look at the big boulder that you're trying to avoid, look at the smooth path you want your bike to follow. 

Our individual and collective mental health would benefit from valuing and thinking about age at least as much as youth.  I'd like to see some more articles in the New Yorker about that.  


3 comments:

  1. Dying one's hair is perfectly acceptable regardless of age; however, leave purple to the youth and to the very old. As a soon to be "old-timer" your 7 points are right on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CURIOSITY (wanting to know what might happen next) got my mom within weeks of her 99th, despite health issues. I hope to do as well--and so far I's going well.
    I might add that as a card-carrying elder it is important for me to nourish friendships with young Boomers, and young adults.
    I also found it DELIGHTFULLY FREEING to stop dyeing my hair when I turned fifty-two(2 decades ago).

    ReplyDelete
  3. A quote from Girls, "all adventurous women do." Taking this quote and applying it to situations in my life has helped me take risks, find humor, stay curious etc. This show is teaching a generation how to age gracefully in its own way.

    ReplyDelete