Thursday, July 5, 2012

in praise of idleness and imagination

I almost bought a 1978 Ford F100 this week.  While out running, I'd seen the truck on the street with a For Sale sign in it.  It was beat up and rusted and it looked like something Tim Riggins would drive in Friday Night Lights (one of the best tv shows ever).  Something about that truck was calling me.  I have never in my life wanted a 'toy' - not like that.  I never have given myself the room and frivolity to even consider a toy.  Something about that truck was beautiful to me and I wanted it.  And my sweet husband (who likes trucks), said, "why don't you call the guy and we'll test drive it." 

I felt tingly inside, rejuvenated, just thinking about that truck.  I imagined driving down the road to work with my hair blowing in the breeze.  I imagined friends calling me to help them move stuff.  It would be awesome.  I liked the feeling that I surprised myself.  When was the last time you surprised yourself?  If you're a dutiful adult, it's probably been a long time.

One of the reaons, I think, we don't surprise ourselves, we don't see and feel the adventures and possibilities in life, is that we're too busy, a la the well-written op-ed from Tim Kreider in the past week's NY Times http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/30/the-busy-trap/?smid=fb-share about the pitfalls of busy-ness, and our false notions that busy-ness equated to our life's meaning and importance.  I liked the article, though the tone is kind of scold-y.

I'll give you a couple less scold-y resources in praise of idleness and imagination - one of the best books, most uplifting fun and inspiring I've read- Brenda Ueland's, If You Want To Write.  She praises idleness, but distinguishes it from laziness, "But if it is the dreamy idleness that children have, an idleness when you walk alone for a long, long time, or take a long, dreamy time at dressing, or lie in bed at night and thoughts come and go...with all my heart I tell you and reassure you:  at such times your are being slowly filled and recharged with warm imagination, with wonderful, living thoughts."

You see, I think our imagination - me imagining myself in some new way, in the truck for example, is something that feeds our health and humanity.  And we don't have to imagine ourselves, I think we could imagine anything - I am certain that Steve Jobs was a great imaginer.  Our leaders in government would probably be serving us much better, if they were less 'busy' and more imaginative.

I am currently reading another book, My Stroke of Insight by Jill Bolte Taylor, PhD.  She was a brain scientist who had a massive stroke in her mid-30s.  She writes, "as members of the same human species, you and I share all but .01 percent of identical genetic sequences...Looking around at the diversity within our human race, it is obvious that .01 percent accounts for significant difference in how we look, think, and behave.

I love that!  I think that idleness, followed by imagination leads to our soul's expression (if you don't believe in a soul, I really just mean the unique thing that is YOU). 

So, you may be disappointed to know that I didn't get the truck.  Not that truck.  I am certain the right truck for me is in my future.   And I also figured out that possessing the truck is not the important thing...it was the surprise of a mind (my mind) that was open to possibility, to imagining myself in a different way, of expressing myself in a different way, and in that imagining, feeling the wind and sun on my face, the open road ahead of me, feeling free. 




4 comments:

  1. I like this! It is not bad to want things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the mental image of pretty-mommy-you in a big guy's truck. That rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no doubt that someday you will get your truck. Make sure it is red. Your imagination is much more realistic than mine of winning Powerball anytime it is over $100 million. But...it is nice to dream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie...This is one of your best posts ever! Give thought to the proposition that another really BIG difference between us dreamers is the ability to actually ACT on that dream. Steve Jobs is a great example of a guy with a dream who acted on it. How many of us have an idea but are afraid, too unsure of our own ability, too busy, unwilling to risk failure, or whatever to pull the trigger? That nugget of gumption is the difference between winners and also rans. My advice...Be a winner. Take that idea out of the garage and go for a spin. You only pass this way once.

    ReplyDelete