Wednesday, October 26, 2011

the outsiders

The elementary school I went to from Kindgergarten through half of 5th grade was Pierremont Elementary school in Manchester, Missouri.  I loved that school.   I remember our gym teacher, Mr. Lowry, pulling kids' teeth when they were loose. We all dreaded it, but longed to have a tooth pulled at the same time.  I remember he'd send us through 'the spanking machine' on our birthdays...this entailed the entire class lining up to spank you as you crawled through their legs.  I loved the gymnastics team, I loved music class with Mrs. Lippi and how we always saw a film called "Dans Macabre" by Camille Saint Saene around Halloween.  I loved the librarian Mrs. Kirkpatrick and the books she picked out for me.  I loved that a stuffed Santa Claus came alive and walked around in Mrs. Smith's Kindergarten class.  I loved that I was Mrs. Birmingham's teacher's pet.
But in a lot of ways, I was a weird kid, I think.  I remember kids inviting me to their birthday parties and not wanting to go.  I remember them inviting me over to play and my mom saying, 'just give so and so a chance.'  I hated the game 'girls chase boys.'  At the sophisticated age of 8, I found it undignified.  At least one school year I chose to take recess in the library to read, rather than have to put up with girls chase boys or boys chase girls or whatever.   I guess I was a nerd.  I guess I was an outsider, in some ways.  I felt like an outsider, but not in a way I experienced as hurtful.

I went to a great training last week given my Dr. Marsha Linehan on "Mindfulness, Willingness, and Radical Acceptance," and though many concepts were helpful to me, one idea that she talked about that I want to write about is the experience that many people have of being an 'outsider.' 

At Pierremont, I was given a great gift.  I was an outsider, but I don't remember ever being treated like that - by students or teachers.  I remember kind of being accepted for being an outsider.  Celebrated even.  I don't know what combination of character traits in the students, in the  teachers and in me came together to make this happen, but it was a huge gift.  I felt the freedom to make the choices I wanted to make, like stay in the library at recess, and no one said, 'you're weird, you're bad, you need to be more like some one else.' 

I moved to a different elementary school January of my 5th grade year.  One of my gym teachers, Miss Furlong, at Pierremont pulled me aside before my family moved, "you are going to do just fine at your new school.  Just be yourself.  Everything will be okay."  I remember it so well - where we stood by the doors to the gym, the way the light fell on the gym floor from the windows.  I felt like she was really talking to me like a grown up.  I am getting verklempt even now! 

Some 'outside-ness' is based on how a person looks on the outside or an outward  expression that is other; but many people who would appear to be 'insiders' also feel outside.  And,  if you feel other in a way that feels bad to you, it is no small thing to work through. Conversely, sometimes, I think we get a strange comfort in feeling we are outside and use it as a way to judge others or feel superior to them.

The question is, what might we do about it or with it?  The sad or negative feelings about being 'outside?'  I think a place to start is looking for the similarities between ourselves and other people.  Maybe especially people we don't like or don't think we like.  I saw Lisa Ling's Our America, about plural marriages in Morman Utah.  Some of the Mormon women have allied with the GLBT community regarding marriage rights.  You'd think they wouldn't have a lot in common, but one of the Mormon women said, "when we got to know one another, we really did."  I thought this was interesting. 

I also think it's worth taking the time to wonder what made us feel other in the first place - I've seen so many sensitive, compassionate, intelligent people feel separate and in pain - I think it's worth an honest look in ourselves to see the goodness and do the hard work to let go of judging messages we took on at a young age. 

I think it's do-able - I think it's important or I wouldn't write about it.  I feel like I had the good fortune of being celebrated for being an outsider when I was a kid.  I think it's something worth celebrating in all of us. 

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!Thank you so much for writing this. From Liessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your post, Katy. Just one bit of correction...."Mormon" women and men do not practice polygamy. The people who practice polygamy in Utah are not affiliated with the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or the Mormons. A good link for info on mormons and polygamy is found here:
    http://newsroom.lds.org/topic/polygamy
    Harry Reid; Mitt Romney; Brandon Flowers; Marie Osmond; Steve Young (49ers); David Archuleta, Gladys Knight; Clay Christensen (Harvard); J. W. Marriott; Stephanie Meyer (ugh, 'Twilight'); Brandon Mull (Fablehaven) = member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, commonly referred to by others as Mormons.

    Warren Jeffs and other polygamous practicers = not Mormon. I think they call themselves "fundamentalists" or something.

    I have lived in Utah for nearly 20 years. There is a HUGE difference between polygamists and mormons. The terms are not interchangeable.

    www.mormon.org probably has a lot of information on this as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi C! This is a great point, and thank you for the clarification. LDS does not equal plural marriage/polygamy! I try to be really careful with my word choice, but that slipped by me. Again, thanks for the resources, too. Katy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katy! I was a Pierremont student as well (& probably what you'd call an outsider too). I was actually looking online for the title of a book I remember Mrs. Kirkpatrick reading long ago, but I happened upon your blog. I had all of those same teachers, and I hadn't thought of so many of them in ages. I appreciate the accidental stumble down memory lane. Just wanted to say thank you!
    -erikka cox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erikka - I loved Mrs. Kirkpatrick! Her book recommendations were really influential in my life and still are. What book were you looking up online? I'd love to know!

      Delete
  5. Wow what a blast from the past! I too went to Pierremont. Was looking up Ms. Lippi online and came across your blog. I remember Mr Lowrey the spanking machine and I had Mrs Birmingham too... Mrs Kirkpatrick was awesome, loved the stories she read to us. What a great school. What years did you go... I went 2-4...78-81 or something close to that. I had Mrs Yeager for 2nd, Mrs Birmingham for 3rd and Mrs Nance for 4th. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amy - I am sorry to be delinquent in my reply - I am glad this brought back memories! I agree, it was a great school. I was there from 1977 to 1981 - left in 5th grade when my family moved. It must have been a really special time, because I received lots of feedback about this one. All my best to you and THANK YOU for commenting.

    ReplyDelete