Tuesday, February 15, 2011

a day late - Happy Valentine's Day!

I am a woman of routine.  Routine is a good thing for the dutiful and I am pretty dutiful.  I am a person who a friend calls, "Miss Moderation."  I get up in the morning and write.  This is how I do so much writing.  Routine, moderation.  I don't often give myself permission to "slack off."  However, I often encourage my clients to "slack off", take time, take care of themselves, enjoy or savor something and be aware of it.  As it goes for many of us, I don't often practice what I preach. 

But I'm going to today!  I have no long musings, deep thoughts on mental health or spirituality that merit a whole bunch of words. 

Here's what I've been thinking of - mostly because of Valentine's Day and also because of the deep appreciation I've been feeling for a number of people in my life recently:  at my church, during the summer, "lay people" give the sermons.  One young man gave several sermons a few years ago, and he was just such a wonderful speaker, a gentle presence, and able to convey a unique and wise perspective...I just always wanted to hug him after he spoke.  I remember he once said, "Of all the forces unleashed in the universe, love is the most powerful." 

I believe it's true.  I feel fortunate to love a lot of people in my life and to feel loved by a lot of people.  Whether it's your significant other, your best friend, your child, your teacher, your dog -  I hope you feel the love this week!

1 comment: