Tuesday, November 20, 2012

U.S. drones in Pakistan and other wake up calls

I dreamed about war last night and weapons.  I think this may be rooted in information shared this past week in the Spirituality class I assist at Wash U.  After a student presentation about spirituality in the military, another student, who is from Pakistan said, 'I'd like to share something about the U.S. use of drones in Pakistan.'  She went on to explain that most Americans don't know about drone use there, but drones are unmanned aircraft that are controlled remotely.  They are used to bomb sites where suspected Muslim extremists may be gathering.  Unfortunately, there are many inaccuracies with such a remote system and many, many civilians - including women and children have been killed.

The woman who shared this anecdote is a lovely, intelligent, and thoughtful young woman.  I had a deeper sense of both connection to her and also a sense of guilt and culpability after she talked.   I have heard her describe her city, her mother, and now how her fellow citizens are hurt by the actions of my government.  I just read a statistic online that nearly 75% if Pakistanis consider the U.S. an enemy.  For a pretty balanced report, I've attached a Wikipedia entry on 'u.s. drones in Pakistan.'  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drone_attacks_in_Pakistan

 I can't tell you how many times before this I'd heard about drones on the news or read about them.  At least the word 'drone'.  Why did I not pay more attention?  Why have I not used my curiosity to find out more about what my government is doing and where, as a representative of me?  What does this have to do with emotional health?

Two things:  1)  how many of us go through life, or at least parts of our life, rather drone-like ourselves.  As if we are unmanned vehicles just operating by some remote pilot.  We don't pay real attention to our environment, the people around us, the colors of the trees, the road we are driving on, the expression on a friend's face.  We zone out and don't  listen and aren't fully alive.  What are we missing out on?  2)  We are individuals and we have an individual emotional/mental health - but we are also a society and we have an emotional character as such.  What do we want  that emotional character to be?  Can we help shape that?  If so, how?  Paying attention is one way to start.

It reminds me of a quote that I've heard attributed to Adam Horovitz of the Beastie Boys.  When asked about the way the band's image changed from frat party boys, to politically conscious activists, he said, "I'd rather be a hypocrite to you, than a zombie forever." 

So whether zombie, drone, the matrix or whatever you want to call it - I don't want to contribute to a world in which we say, 'that's just the way it is and I can't make a difference.'  That's not good for MY mental health.  In a time of year where we are getting ready to pay special attention to giving thanks, I'd like to give thanks for moments that make me uncomfortable.  The moments that wake me up.  



3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this, Katy. I love how you bring the metaphor of drones home to us personally. It's true that news softens the truth--if it tells us the truth at all. The media is definitely controlled by government and corporations who want a particular message. It always has been. That's what propaganda is all about.

    I love the Beastie Boys, too. They're not hypocrites. They just grew up and found their hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The use of the methaphor of drones is excellent. As cognitive beings we should strive to avoid the drone syndrome that infects so many individuals in contemporary society. Nothwithstanding your astute blog entry, let us not be fooled of the importance of the use of drone aircraft by the military. It is deplorable that civilians are harmed in the course of any conflict. But it is even more deplorable, even dastardly, for individuals who are sworn to do YOU harm in the name of God, as they perceive their deity, to shield themselves by using innocent civilians. We should feel compassion for your student. But, since 9-11 there have been no major terrorist events in our homeland. That in itself is something for which to give thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this (wondering if it's Dad writing??) Just a follow up thought to your comment: The questions of justice and peace seem so much in tension with one another. But are they? Changing hearts and minds is a slow process, maybe so slow that we won't see such a thing in our lifetime. However, to end religious extremism, we ultimately must be examples of freedom of thought, of speech, of religion, and liberty in general. The fruit of these freedoms will change hearts and minds far more quickly and effectively than violence. I don't mean we shouldn't protect ourselves, but I do believe our most effective shield, ultimately, is striving to be the living example of the ideals we claim to represent.

    ReplyDelete