Thursday, October 4, 2012

moving and blessings

First, I want to acknowledge that I've been 'gone' from the blog for longer than I intended.  As a family, we moved homes almost two weeks ago, and I can safely say I've had yet another 'learning experience.'  Learning experiences are really a mixed bag, aren't they?  The upshot is this:  when someone asks you if they can help you, you should say 'yes.' 

But what I wanted to write about, really, came as surprise yesterday as I was preparing for a presentation I'm making to the Spirituality and Social Work class I assist with in the Fall semester at the Brown School at Wash U.  Some of you may have seen that I sent out on facebook an 'ask' for my Jewish friends and family to write a little to me about how they connect with their religion and where they find meaning in their tradition (oh, yeah - my presentation is on Judaism and Social Work).

After the fb post there was a mild flurry of activity.  I was totally thrilled at the enthusiasm and joy in the responses.  As an unforeseen bonus, I was connected with the cantor, Leslie Caplan, at Central Reform Congregation, and had a delightful conversation with her.  In the context of a bigger story, she shared with me the idea of blessing, which I will attempt to re-share with you all because I found it touching.  Also, my apologies if I'm not getting it totally accurate (I hope it's the spirit of the law, if not the letter of the law).

A blessing is when we act in a way that demonstrates some essence of another person and in a sense honors that person.  When we do this, we bless that person.  I imagine, in the origination of the word and it's meaning, a blessing would be a serious thing.  For example, my Uncle Warren, who died almost ten years ago this Christmas was a person known to me to make very kind, unexpected and thoughtful gestures.  I remember in college when he learned that I was taking a metaphysical poetry class, he sent me his metaphysical poetry book from Yale with a very thoughtful note.  When I make kind, thoughtful, unexpected gestures for others, this is a blessing on my uncle.  We can do this for those who are living or dead, as I understand it.

I feel a sense of awe when I think about that, which by my way of thinking is a spiritual feeling.  I wonder also if we bless people in more mundane, but still meaningful ways - when my sister makes my grandmother's icebox rolls at the holidays or when my husband hushes us in church out of deference to his grandfather, the minister.   We have all been greatly influenced by the people we love -if feels good to praise them through our actions and pass along the best of them.

Thanks to everyone who is helping me with this presentation by sharing their stories and making these connections with and for me. 


1 comment:

  1. Katy....This blog gives us pause to think about our own little rituitals and beliefs and where they came from. I'm gald you verbalized it. It makes our lives more meaningful because of those who made us what we are. Great job! As usual.

    ReplyDelete